Friday, March 6, 2009

Classroom Technology Inventory

I am completing my practicum in a first grade classroom at Mapleton Elementary. I was very surprised by the results of my classroom technology inventory. I learned that in my classroom, technology is not a big priority. My first graders have scheduled computer time once a week, but other than that instructional period, technology is seldom used in my classroom. I found this interesting because the school has a lot of technology available. While my classroom only has one "teacher" PC, there is a technology cart that contains a laptop and projector (this cart is shared with one other teacher--there are 2 of these carts per grade level). The laptop on the cart serves many functions--it has wireless internet access, plays music, and serves as the tv/dvd player. The school also has big tv carts that teachers can check out as well as a digital camera, a video camera, and smartboards. In addition, the school has two computer labs that are available for scheduling. At my school, however, there's not a lot of extra software available. Beyond the Microsoft Office pacakage, there is a program called Youlead that is for video purposes. If and when computer problems arise, a staff member assists teachers to fix problems, if possible. If not, there is district tech support available to help.
I found it very surprising and somewhat strange that despite the all of the wonderful technology resources available, technology is not a priority in my classroom. Now that I am aware of the resources I have access to, I hope to be able to integrate technology into the classroom and show my students how fun technology can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment