Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Internet Safety Sharing

For this part of the internet safety assignment, I talked to my 32-year-old sister. She is the mother of 3 young children ages 7, 4, and 1. From our discussion I pleasantly surprised by what an informed parent she is. She told me that she’s spent a lot of time reading articles and listening to programs about internet safety. I was able to share a few new ideas with her about internet safety—mainly that you sometimes have to shut down an entire system when you accidentally access something you shouldn’t view and that parents need to set the example as good viewers of media when it comes to time. I also shared with her what I learned from the article, “Tangled in the Web” and a more gospel-oriented perspective on how media is useful if we use it correctly. This was a positive experience because I was able to congratulate my sister on all that she knew as well as give her a little more information. This was also an easy assignment to complete because she already knew so much information and yet I was still able to help her learn something new about a topic she is very interested in. Overall, I think this was a valuable experience and I’m glad that my sister is a well-informed, caring parent who understands the importance of internet safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment